Partitioning the image (was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 11 15:33:07 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:25:58 -0500, Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > My thoughts?  Hmm.  I don't have any strong feeling.  I just want us to
> > have *some* way to divide up the namespace, so that packages do not
> > collide so easily and so that I can stop naming my classes with
> > prefixes.
> >
> I like prefixes, actually. I like them a whole lot more than the mess they
> made in VW.

Do you know a good writeup of what's wrong with them?  Or would you mind
making a few notes, if not?  I've never worked with VW, and I hear a lot
of complaints about its namespaces!

> I wonder what capabilities would bring us here. Different subsystems in a
> partitioned image wouldn't have any problem using the same classnames in
> something Squeak-E or Islands like. Would you still need namespaces?

I would say that this *is* a namespace approach.  Objects will
presumably want to refer to items in other partitions than their own.
What do you do?  Import a local name for it?  Specify it explicitly
("item foo of partition bar")?

-Lex