Partitioning the image (was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Feb 11 16:13:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:26:40 -0500, Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Please consider a few scenarios.

[food for thought snipped]

> Anyway, if you are suggestiong "just use SqueakMap", I disagree that it
> solves what we want.

So maybe change SM instead of writing something new besides it? What you
want looks like a sort of distributed SM, where people can opt to add
their stuff to 'the central catalog' for some value of 'the central
catalog'. Not?

I'm all for burning diskpacks (not paper - disk packs smoke better), but
also for leveraging what we've got.

I think SM catalog cards should be objects that can travel around the
world, inserted into catalog collections at will, and if SM browser then
allows the user to select what catalog(s) she wants to view, you've come a
long way, not? Most of that is probably already there in some latent form,
just needs to get a firm kick in the butt :)