The future of Morphic (Was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Feb 13 18:45:24 UTC 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 13.02.2005 um 05:49 schrieb Doug Way:

>> So in other words, partitioning (separating) eToys from Morphic
>> sounds like a fine idea, and we will need your help doing it!
>> Separating the entirety of Morphic (including eToys) from everything
>> else may be a more immediate priority for us, though... but if you
>> want to get started early on splitting eToys from Morphic, we won't
>> stop you. ;)  Well, you would need to coordinate with the various
>> other folks in charge of Morphic.
>
> I doubt that you could untangle etoys from Morphic in a way that still
> allows them to be loaded back in. At the very least it would require a
> major effort to do so.
>
> Mind you, I'm not arguing against doing this (the next etoys is
> Tweak-based anyway), just be aware that you might loose etoys for
> good.

I was wondering about that.  I can imagine that EToys requires a lot of
stuff to be properly initialized/instantiated for it to start working,
simply loading the EToys code on top of Morphic may not be enough.

Well, we'll have to do what we can.  Certainly the very first version
of the Morphic package should include EToys.  So then if subsequent
versions of Morphic have EToys removed, at least there will still be an
additional combined Morphic+EToys package available that people can
port forward to new versions of Squeak if they want.  (Or who knows,
maybe a committed person will get a separate EToys package working.)

- Doug