[ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 16 05:04:12 UTC 2005

> 	- frustrated that bugs posted to the mailing list are still in the
> product after 4 years
So did they contribute to doing the work to fix bugs? Not just reporting
them, or even writing code to fix them, but the unrewarded, often
cursed work of checking the problem, the 'fix', the resolving ? Usually
not.

> 	- frustrated that worthy features published to the list are ignored
See above. Announcing a brilliant idea to the assembled masses is a
tiny fraction of the work. Any idea how much effort it takes for me to
incorporate proposed 'fixes' into the VM?

> 	- frustrated with how a lot of things are just not finished
Me too. So we have to have more people taking part in the Hard Work.
Hardly anyone volunteers. That's what it takes.

> 	- frustrated with an appearance of an "in crowd" that decides where
> the group as a whole focuses (although I do not applaud committee based
> design)
Which is a really odd thought since the original Squeak Central was
pretty much the ultimate in-crowd arrangement. The arrangement we called
The Guides was an attempt to open the system up to allow more people to
take a leading part - and guess what; hardly anyone turned up for the
party. Plenty hung around on the edges of the dance floor whining that
they didn't want to dance to Heavy Metal, or that the beer would be
better if it tasted like VisualBASIC or (spit)java.

And does anyone _really_ think Goran et al. would simply try to hold a
coup? Gimme a break; my spetznaz would be breaking down the vault doors
in no time.

tim
PS attribution deliberately removed above because I'm not wishing to
seem to attack the author personally.

Every program is either trivial or it contains at least one bug.