[ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Feb 16 07:31:55 UTC 2005

Hi all!

(chugging away at all these posts...)

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > 	- frustrated that bugs posted to the mailing list are still in the
> > product after 4 years
> So did they contribute to doing the work to fix bugs? Not just reporting
> them, or even writing code to fix them, but the unrewarded, often
> cursed work of checking the problem, the 'fix', the resolving ? Usually
> not.

And yes, the harvesting process as it stands doesn't really work. That
is one true challenge ahead of this community to get a grip on. We all
know that.

> > 	- frustrated that worthy features published to the list are ignored
> See above. Announcing a brilliant idea to the assembled masses is a
> tiny fraction of the work. Any idea how much effort it takes for me to
> incorporate proposed 'fixes' into the VM?

Well, same on this one. By the way, ignored by whom? As everyone
realizes in order for a contribution to be ignored - there have to be
someone doing the ignoring. Since we haven't had anyone actually
responsible (harvesters just did what they could in the time they could
spare, there was no accountability there) this is hardly surprising.

Now we have the pressure on us to actually make sure we solve this issue
once and for all.
I hope you are all with us in this, we are NOTHING without the support
of the community.
And we all know that.

> > 	- frustrated with how a lot of things are just not finished
> Me too. So we have to have more people taking part in the Hard Work.
> Hardly anyone volunteers. That's what it takes.

Yup.

> > 	- frustrated with an appearance of an "in crowd" that decides where
> > the group as a whole focuses (although I do not applaud committee based
> > design)
> Which is a really odd thought since the original Squeak Central was
> pretty much the ultimate in-crowd arrangement. The arrangement we called
> The Guides was an attempt to open the system up to allow more people to
> take a leading part - and guess what; hardly anyone turned up for the
> party. Plenty hung around on the edges of the dance floor whining that
> they didn't want to dance to Heavy Metal, or that the beer would be
> better if it tasted like VisualBASIC or (spit)java.

More or less, yes. :)

> And does anyone _really_ think Goran et al. would simply try to hold a
> coup? Gimme a break; my spetznaz would be breaking down the vault doors
> in no time.

Right, and perhaps it was a real mistake to playfully use that word. I
used it because there IS no decisional body that can grant us this. So
by definition it is a coup, but definitely not by INTENT. If you know
what I mean.

And yes, there really is no conceivable way for anyone to actually
perform a "coup" without the support from the community. Those spetznaz
aren't to play with.

regards, Göran