Namespaces and forks - An outsiders view

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Feb 16 08:46:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:44:54 -0000, Aaron Gray <angray at beeb.net> wrote:
> Any attempt at adding namespaces to Squeak should be a fork until such
> times as it has demonstrated good and has earned its reputation amongst
> examiners from the main community.

The alternative, of course, is complete backwards compatibility.

> In my opinion namespaces and modules/packages are a necessary
> compication for proper growth of Squeak,

Yes on one count. Packaging the image ('Debianizing Squeak') will probably
solve a lot of our problems, because then all the fuzz is around the
shared bits (the 'kernel') and if you think that Morphic sucks for your
app, mail whoever is responsible for Morphic but don't bug the central
list ;). I think that this will go a long way towards making Squeak more
flexible.

Namespaces? I dunnow. Nobody reacted to my challenge 'why do we need
them', so until that time I'm happily oblivious about any need for them :)