Two clarifications on the leadership (was RE: [ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Feb 16 10:12:24 UTC 2005

Hi all!

"Frank Shearar" <Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk> wrote:
> goran.krampe at bluefish.se <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:
>
> <snip loads of stuff>
>
> > The general community? Well, speak up. That is the only way we will
> > really know. Given all we have been doing and are doing for the
> > community I really think most people realize we are "good guys" with
> > good intent. Really.
>
> My opinion: I don't particularly care how my image-related bugfixes, ENH etc, get in the image, as long as they get reviewed and harvested reasonably promptly.

He, yes indeed. :)

> That means that SOMEONE has to take responsibility and be granted the authority (capability) to, for instance, harvest a bugfix. Right now, what decision processes do we have? None. And, well, looking at the names on that "in group", I'm happy to give them my support - I've not been a member of the Squeak community for particularly long, but I've seen these guys do good work and prove they're on the up & up.

Thank you. People out there - we need to hear what you all think now.
Negative or positive. It matters a lot to us.

> Hey, if it doesn't work, kick them out.

Exactly. It is simple - we are putting ourselves on the line and giving
you our effort and time to make good things happen. You want to turn
this down? Or you wnat to decide later on that we are just barfing it
all up? Fine. Kick us out hard or send the spetznaz as Tim put it.

Now - just to make two important clarifications:

1. Perhaps I was a bit vague on the time limit of this leadership. I got
feedback saying that at least. So here it is. Maximum 12 months.
Regardless of what the hell is happening we are stepping down
2006-02-15.
But we may very well end up short of gasoline a lot earlier than that,
so I *urge* all parties involved
in the SqF formation (including us) to get moving.

2. I think we/I did one mistake when forming this group. We didn't
contact Dan for his view and support
before doing this. That was primarily my mistake because I have been in
contact with Dan sporadically over time and he has given me some advice
and input during the Guides period, so why I forgot to talk with Dan I
really don't know. I do hope he will show us his support though.

So I admit - perhaps we should have done that differently.

regards, Göran