Two clarifications on the leadership (was RE: [ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!)

willem van den ende squeak at willemvandenende.com
Wed Feb 16 13:47:47 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 11:12, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> "Frank Shearar" <Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk> wrote:
> > goran.krampe at bluefish.se <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:
> >
> > <snip loads of stuff>
> >
> > > The general community? Well, speak up. That is the only way we will
> > > really know. Given all we have been doing and are doing for the
> > > community I really think most people realize we are "good guys" with
> > > good intent. Really.
> >
> > My opinion: I don't particularly care how my image-related bugfixes, ENH
> > etc, get in the image, as long as they get reviewed and harvested
> > reasonably promptly.
>
> He, yes indeed. :)
>
> > That means that SOMEONE has to take responsibility and be granted the
> > authority (capability) to, for instance, harvest a bugfix. Right now,
> > what decision processes do we have? None. And, well, looking at the names
> > on that "in group", I'm happy to give them my support - I've not been a
> > member of the Squeak community for particularly long, but I've seen these
> > guys do good work and prove they're on the up & up.
>
> Thank you. People out there - we need to hear what you all think now.
> Negative or positive. It matters a lot to us.

Ok, here goes - I'm one of the many lurkers like Mikael...

I am glad :-) some people stepped up and are prepared to carry the burden of
leadership. My first reaction was like Blake's:

>I know my inclination to contribute has been stifled by a sense of
>uncertainty picked up from this list over the past few months.
>If there are others like me (and I suspect there are) this uncertainty is
>tantamount to throwing away resources--not something Squeak can afford.

I'd go even further - my inclination to use has been stifled... I believe,
that in order to attract and maintain a user- and developer- base Squeak needs
a heartbeat in the form of regular, clearly marked releases (and in between
those releases, regular updates). Current work and discussions on image
shrinking, packaging and a new website give me hope :-).  I trust the new
leadership will create the necessary focus to converge these efforts.

I also agree with what Frank Shearer wrote above, and Phil Hargett in another
mail.

I hope the new leadership and later on process will provide a way in which the
creativity obviously present in this community can be used effectively.

I wish the new leadership all the best, and I wish you fun doing it :-)

cheers,

Willem.

--
Willem van den Ende