[ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!

Russell Penney russell.penney at tincanct.com
Wed Feb 16 15:55:14 UTC 2005

Goran,
   Thank you for this; you have gone a LONG way in answering my questions.
BTW I have read this email and no others in the very long thread as I didn't
want to 'taint' my viewpoint after reading yours.

I think there has been great misunderstanding, I have no idea if it is on
your or my part or both. I have reread your email and I have to say I still
see this as "your views will be overruled if it suits our purposes" BUT I
could be wrong. It happens often! :)

Ah I know what the issue is; there are contradictions in what you are saying
now and previous emails by you, others in the islands group and other in
influence. Well maybe not contradictions, maybe because of the fact that
there is no place that describes the feature list that will go into the next
release of Squeak or in fact the goals of the next release. When I read the
list, I see Namespaces, Traits, Spoon and several others as accepted goals
for Squeak in the next few releases. This is coming from people I associated
with being Guides and therefore keepers of the sacred destiny. So I believe
that, maybe I shouldn't.

If you have read my emails lately, I have point blank suggested that the
guides SHOULD be guiding. There is a difference between guiding and
benevolent dictatorships however. What is the process if a large proportion
of the community disagree with the islands group? In fact where are any of
the processes we really need? Everyone talks about Debian and packaging,
they have RULES, and we do not. Fix that and you have got me backing you up
100%.

Hmmmm I have read and reread your statement. I have written and re-written
several extensions to this email. Frankly I am tired and I don’t think there
is anything I can say that will change or divert this occurrence. So I will
bow out and let whatever happens, happen. Maybe I am just being negative ;)
All I will say is PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be inclusive of this community, there
are a LOT of people making good suggestions that are not being acknowledged
by the "in" crowd (and yes I strongly believe there is one).
Oh for those who maybe don't have English as a first language, an "in" crowd
is a clique with influence, you know that group of popular kids at school
who made it hell for us nerds :)

Russell
"You can't write Open Source with a closed mind"