[ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Feb 16 17:55:29 UTC 2005

G–ran  wrote...
>2. I think we/I did one mistake when forming this group. We didn't
>contact Dan for his view and support
>before doing this. That was primarily my mistake because I have been in
>contact with Dan sporadically over time and he has given me some advice
>and input during the Guides period, so why I forgot to talk with Dan I
>really don't know. I do hope he will show us his support though.

[I apologize for not writing sooner, but timing wasn't great on this end]

I definitely support you guys.  I've got a soft spot for anyone who starts out quoting from TMI.

Yes, an agenda in the beginning might have reduced the noise.  But I figure, hey, it's a big challenge, it's been frustrating for quite a while, and the guys need a chance to be outrageous and have some fun.

In the absence of a specific uprising-related agenda, Stef has pointed to the 3.9 roadmap.  However it feels to me like enough is in the air, and we have everyone's attention (and, we DO have to give G & Co. credit for that!) so that it would probably be useful to re-state, re-evaluate, and re-declare a new agenda on which we can all agree on (as best we can), and of which the new crew can feel some real ownership.  It's my hope (and sense from a couple of things) that an early task of the new administration will be to solicit recommendations for this new plan.  Presumably they would then digest these and come forward with a recommendation that we could all empower them to execute.

A bit about people.  Sometimes in the busy-ness of the daily grind, I forget just how cool Squeak is, and then I have to deal with something less lively and I realize that I still really care about this work.  Similarly, in the day-to-day struggle over mundane issues or long email exchanges over petty details, I think we may sometimes forget what a sterling crew has gathered around this cause.  There is hardly a person on this list, and certainly not one of this rebel alliance,  who isn't aware of how special this stuff is, and deeply committed to keeping it alive and making it better.  These people are our most precious resource.  More than any concerns about agendas, protocol, yadda, yadda, I care about embracing the critics and finding where we agree, and salvaging any people who are burning out because I know that at the root of this movement is a real commitment to deal with the frustrations of the past and challenges of the future.

As Frank said, "Hey, if it doesn't work, kick them out."

And until then, as Juan said, "You have my full support."

	- Dan