[ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Thu Feb 17 00:39:14 UTC 2005

Göran,

=======================================
We are a group of people standing up offering our time and effort, for a
limited temporary time, to the community taking a much higher degree of
responsibility than the Guides ever did or any other group has done
since 2002. But you can't take responsibility without also take the
decisions.
=======================================

There is an argument that SqC was effective because they had decision making power.  I honestly can't decide whether or not Squeak is adrift at present.

Consider this.  By analogy with the founding of the United States of America, put somebody in charge (I am lumping branches here - they are probably not necessary as described below) but do so with constraints in both power and duration.  Then see what they cause to happen.  Argue for or against ideas; be productive in your preferred direction.

Why no branches of the leadership?  Unlike a country that has been lead into financial ruin, war, etc., all "we the people" need to do to clean up after a rogue administration is simply install Squeak x.(y-1), and start over.  If a group of leaders delivers junk, we can try again with a better idea of what we don't want.

For elections, I recommend following the corporate world - more stock means more votes.  Define it how you will.  The trust measure is an option.  You might grant extra votes for packaged goodies linked in SM or something similar, and that pass tests.  Let all interested persons vote; count the votes of some with more weight, and make options for increasing one's influence clear and benefical to Squeak and its users.

Terms could be specified by the shorter of a period of time a number of releases.  If you really want to go crazy, you could have branches or simply some leaders that have different term durations (probably not a bad idea to have somewhat staggered terms for continuity).  Keep in mind that the US is run very differently now than intended.  Popular elections of Senators is a relatively recent thing, etc.

I could keep going, but I'm in enough trouble already...

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology