My take on this (was Re: [ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Feb 17 01:02:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:27:16 -0500, <Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM> wrote:
> My only concern is that Goran, Cees, Doug, Marcus, and Michael do all
> have "day jobs", as Goran mentioned, and they're taking on a big
> responsibility.

At least for the coming months, Squeak *is* my day job. And if my current
project is succesful, it'll stay my day job for some time to come. So,
speaking for me personally, you can scrap that issue ;)

(it does bring up another issue, of course - I need certain things from
Squeak for my day job. This will influence my judgement. But then, I'm
sure you guys will correct me if that takes me down on the wrong road ;)).

> It seems to be widely agreed upon that a lot of problems in Squeak land
> are because "nobody" is spending time doing the work.

And the pessimists say that this is because nobody wants to; the optimists
say that this is because nobody knows how and/or nobody gets feedback
quick enough to stay motivated.

I'm an optimist :)

> If an artist can find US$20 million to
> hang curtains in New York's Central Park for 16 days, surely there must
> be funding available somewhere to sponsor Squeak?

Err... volunteering time *is* funding. But finding money would be nice to,
but that needs a legal body, etcetera, etcetera - in other words, the SqF
effort. Which we all support, but it has a different timeframe than the
current interim leadership.

> So, Guys, for what it's worth, you have my support.

Thanks. Much appreciated.