musing around with the compiler

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Feb 17 14:02:59 UTC 2005

Hi

I would like to check whether certain string are regular Smalltalk
expressions (without evaluating them)
So I played with the compiler and its lack of consistent exceptions.
Anyway.

Compiler new compile: 'zorkgloubibolga123456789 ', 'go' in: Bot
notifying: nil ifFail: [nil]
returns
  zorkgloubibolga123456789

	go
while I would like to be able to get an syntaxErrorNotification or
OutOfScopeNotification since go is not an instance variable of class
Bot.

I tried

[Compiler new compile: 'zorkgloubibolga123456789 ', 'go: 120' in: Bot
notifying: nil ifFail: [nil]]
		on: SyntaxErrorNotification
		do: [ Beeper beep]
and there I get an exception which is good for me.

Does anybody has an idea how I can get an exception on the following
case.

[Compiler new compile: 'zorkgloubibolga123456789 ', 'go' in: Bot
notifying: nil ifFail: [nil]]
		on: OutOfScopeNotification
		do: [ Beeper beep]