a simple solution to Package, preinst/postinst/etc

Michal michal-list at auf.net
Thu Feb 17 15:07:47 UTC 2005

Stef -

> could you guys have a look at what alex is doing because it seems
> that we are wasted time and effort?

sure. Note however that the two are not conflicting. At least that
wasn't my intention.

My "simplest thing that works" proposal is an incremental step, which
I would think is easier for the community to come to an agreement on
so we can get work done on packages right now. It also addresses the
desire voiced (by Lex I think) of sticking with string-based
definitions of packages, at least for a while.

Of course, I'm fine and happy if it is later superseded by a 'first
class Package' solution, if we all agree on one.

Michal

ps. up to now, it amounts to a total "waste" of about 20mn, which is
still survivable ;)