Squeak on Palm Zire?

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Thu Feb 17 23:23:27 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 February 2005 10:20 am, Blake wrote:
> Anyone done Squeak on the Zire?

No, and it's unlikely that anyone would want to unless they were a masochist.

However, I heard a rumor that IBM Almaden Labs did a Squeak port for the Palm
OS (3?) a while ago. Anyone know more about this?

I'd love to have such a thing, as would a number of other people I know. Steve
just got a Tapwave Zodiac, and Dan just got a Treo 650.

The memory "management" is ... interesting ... there's no guarantee that you
can get a single block of database memory that's big enough for a Squeak
image. In fact, I believe (could be wrong here) that the max size of a
database record is just less than 64K in size. Squeak assumes a single
contiguous chunk of memory in which it can put 32-bit pointers that will
remain valid through a session. There are also "resource" chunks, but it
doesn't seem to make much sense to copy the entire Squeak image from RAM
(database) into RAM (resource) just to run it.

Also, the ARM-based Palms are actually emulating 68K processors much of the
time when running 3rd-party code, though you can make individual native ARM
code subroutines ("ARMlets") that you can call via a thunk of some kind.
interpret() and friends would be a candidate for this treatment.

Anyone know more about Palm OS 4 or 5 memory management?

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/