Newbie questions

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Feb 18 00:17:07 UTC 2005

Hi Joseph!

Joseph Jones <darkdescendant at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just started with Squeak and SmallTalk and am enjoying programming in

To not look newbyish - write Smalltalk without capital T. :)

> it for the first time in a long time. I have a couple of newbie
> questions, though that I have not found adequate answers for elsewhere.
>
> 1) What is the significance of the use of >> in many of your emails? Is
> this a SmallTalkism that I missed somewhere or is this a convention
> used to tie a Class name and a method name together in discussions?

Yes, it is such a convention. Not sure either where it really comes
from.

> 2) How do I run Squeak in a non-ui mode? I have seen a few items
> talking about -headless on the command line. Is that all there is to
> it?

Should be.

> Thanx,
> joe
>
> P.S. Imagine my surprise when, on my first day on the list, the ANN of
> a new leadership and all the followup mail hits me. Man, didn't know
> what to think about that. Fortunately (?) I am way to uninformed to
> converse on that topic intelligently and only hope that the best thing
> for the community and for Squeak comes out of it. :-)

Hehe, well - you sure picked an interesting point in time to join us! :)

The current torrent on this list is not representative, even though the
traffic in general is quite high. And yes, my bet (but I am of course in
the eye of the storm) is that this is something very good. But all we
can do is to see how it turns out.

regards, Göran