Linux dist - which one? or where?

Bruce O'Neel edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Feb 18 12:09:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

> >This is the developer's site where you get the latest and greatest.
> >Recently moved to http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/unix/
>
> thanks, maybe the link should be updated on the squeak.org site.

Yes, the web page is being worked on now :-)

> then shouldn't the filenames be the same?

They are renamed to make all the different packages have a consistant naming
scheme.  Yes, we could also get Ian, John, and Andreas to rename their
work, but Squeakers tend to be an idiosyncratic group.  Worse than that, the
VM folks seem to change thier concept of the "right" name between versions so
I've tried to rename things to keep some consistancy, though I don't guarantee
complete consistancy.

If the renaming causes a problem than I can stop.  It's not like I have a
strong feeling about it.

Oh yes, the big tar files on the ftp site are complete packages with
image, changes, sources, and VM.  None of the VM writers generate
those, afaik.

> >> - If 3.7 is the current stable release (it is according to this post
> >>at the swiki: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.388), why doesn't
> >>the Master Squeak Unix Site have this as a stable release?
> >
> >That's up to Ian to answer - I guess he just didn't have the time to
> >release
>
> Which makes me emphasize my suggestion: no release until all major
> platforms can be released.
>
> major: *nix, windows, mac.
>
> I don't suggest having minor platforms follow this rule.

There is no real need to have a 3.7 VM with a 3.7 image.  Most VMs
newer than 3.0 will most likely run the latest images.  There are some
exceptions of course.

It is up to the VM maintainers to release VMs.  I don't think it is a good
idea to hold up everyone just because someone is busy.

> If one of the platform release is behind, it'll put community pressure
> on the maintainer to release or to find another maintainer.
>
> >> why not provide the 3 platform-independent files for all platform
> >>downloads. That'll make them all consistent. Maybe at the top of the
> >>squeak.org site, there is a link to these 3 files (and the sources
> >>file couldn't be g zipped).
> >> Then, below this selection, provide the platform dependent file for
> >>each specific OS?
> >>
> >> Maybe the current way was decided because the goal was to make it
> >>easy for windows/mac users? -- but they are just zip/sit files, not
> >>auto-installers. So, I don't see that it's that much convenient.
> >>
> >> If the reason that there are different links for each platform is
> >>because each VM is released at different times, then perhaps change
> >>the process: all final versions (stable release) are not completed
> >>until all VMs are completed.
> >
> > Suggestion (and I'm sure this has been discussed before resulting in
> >good recommendations):
> >Well, the Squeak.org downloads are aimed at developers, so nobody
> >bothered doing proper installers.
>
> It is? I thought squeak.org was THE place to dnl for developers AND
> users. If not, gosh, it should be. The name of the site is "squeak",
> where else will users dnl?

The squeak.org site is also meant for new users.  We already have debian
packages and I'm happy to put other formats up, if someone actually will
build them, and then keep building them :-)

To be honest the unix/linux packages are the odd ones out.  Up until now
most of our linux users tended to be experienced.  Our not so computer
experienced users tend to be Mac or Win users.  I'm not sure that I
see linux systems in use that insulate the users from things such as tar,
though, I'm happy with other distribution formats.

cheers

bruce

edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org