Proposed web site

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Feb 18 14:32:02 UTC 2005

Hi all!

"Bruce O'Neel" <edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the long standing complaints about squeak has been the
> squeak.org website has gotten out of date.
>
> One proposal is at http://edoneel.chaosnet.org/squeak/index.html.

Yup, I at least like it.

> Some comments:
>
> - This is an attempt to make a minimial website, ie, let's
> keep to an absolute minimum the bits that have to be directly
> maintained and push most of the maintenace off to the squeak
> swiki.  This means that, basically, the web site will only be as
> good as the Swiki, so, keep that swiki up to date.  I'm leaning
> very hard towards the idea that squeak.org should be one web page.

And yes, that is a nice idea. One page.

> - I tried not to overload the page with too many links.  I may not
> have succeeded.  While a large chunk of the squeak community are
> programmers, not all of us are.  Unlike ruby-lang.org, perl.org,
> python.org, et al which are aimed at programmers we need to appeal
> to a broader group.  Ergo the proposed squeak.org is less (I think)
> busy.

I am mainly missing two things:

- An FAQ link. Though this should be a more high level FAQ than the one
at the Swiki.
And it would be nice to have it in the same style - perhaps simply
renaming the Documentation tab to FAQ, and then have it there? A second
page (tab) but keeping the stuff to the left and right and just
replacing the center part?

- A longer list of "main" links, perhaps simply below the central blue
section instead of off to the right. This means say 10 links to the most
important other Squeaky places we know, including at least:
	www.squeakland.org
	people.squeakfoundation.org
	www.squeakfoundation.org
	www.croquet.org
	minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak

Or make that the third tab.

> - Yes, I borrowed the Mozilla Europe stylesheet.  I think I can do
> that, but, if not, the look can be changed.  It's all CSS.
> Blue seems like a reasonable squeak color.

Yeah, but we gotta make the images transparent. :) We could also put a
"This design borrowed from Mozilla" and mention that the license allows
it.

> - The wording of all of this is subject to change.  I am alleged
> to natively speak some form of English, but I sure can't write it.
>
> - Since I'm alergic to wearing all black, I'm obviously not a designer
> either.  Apparently some real black dressed designer people will have
> a go at the design and try to make it better.
>

> If you've already commented and I seem to have ignored your
> comment, could you send it again?  I didn't ignore it, I just
> got overloaded.
>
> And finally, I wanted to put a pointer to Tweak, but, tweak is
> too common a name and therefore I couldn't find a good web page.
> Could someone point me in the right direction there?
>
> If someone would like to make a good "other big projects with squeak"
> page on the swiki I'd also like to point to that.  The current
> other projects with squeak is just a bit too big.

Ok, but I actually think that the "only the most important links"-list
should be on the site itself.

> thanks!
>
> cheers
>
> bruce