[ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!

Russell Penney russell.penney at tincanct.com
Sat Feb 19 01:40:49 UTC 2005

Goran replied
<SNIP>
> Right. Eh, I know it sounds odd to refer to a report that I haven't yet
> sent out (waiting for Marcus to approve it) but in that report you will
> find a link to our up-to-now-private-but-just-opened-up-readonly swiki
> area where we have a collection of "burning issues". I think you will
> find a few listed there that maps to this. So... these problems are at
> least listed now. That is always a first step :)

Read it, looks great. Fantastic start! Interesting that Ned's document echos
a lot of what I am trying to say, his is just written SOOOO much better ;)

> And how do we find mentors? Would you be willing to be a mentor? And if
> there is hesitation among us to be mentors - what is it based on,
> perhaps something we can relieve?

LOL. Me a mentor? If you look back over the list, one of my frustrations has
been asking for one and not getting a response! :)

I have no idea why there is hesitation. In fact people may be getting help
but it is off the list so not visible. I know I haven't and there is enough
anecdotal evidence for me to make the assumption that others aren't getting
the help they would like either. Maybe we are asking too much?

> > Of course the biggest problem is that all these things are useless
> without
> > some way of getting them into Squeak. IMHO that is the biggest problem
> you
> > face and no amount of rushing to get to 3.9 will make any difference
> because
> > you haven't solved the underlying problems.
>
> "into Squeak" - you mean getting them to learn and get productive?

Ah no that would be because I took a little bit out of the email and didn't
read it properly :) What I meant was that it is great to get "newbies" to
help out tidying up the image but if there is no process to get the changes
INTO the image then all that work is wasted. It has been very obvious in
this discussion that there has been a lot of work wasted because the
harvesting process has stalled.

Oops got to run, I have to pick up my girlfriend and go throw her in a tank
of sharks!

Russell