[REPORT] Report 1 from castaways (that name sucks...)

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 10:03:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:20:08 +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
<goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:

> This part is a bolder move. We are starting a task with Cees de Groot as
> team leader called MinimalMorphic.

> The side product of this work is meant to be a loadable RestOfMorphic
> package and an eToys package. Or at least a RestOfMorphic package
> including eToys, that is also up for the team to find out.

> Finally we would like to thank Avi for making us look in this direction
> and Dan for pushing us even further than we first dared, as Dan so well
> put it himself - "it's ballsy". :)

Since you bring me up, just a small note: as I made clear in my
original suggestion, I think it's crucially important that the
RestOfMorphic package be ackowledged as a main focus (I'd say, *the*
main focus) of this effort.  Calling it a "side product" gives me
pause.  If we're trying not to fragment the community, then the silent
majority of Squeak users who rely on eToys can't feel left behind.
There's been a lot of good and necessary work already on simply
stripping down a Morphic image, but the much harder and equally
necessary part, which will require a lot of leadership,
coordination,and elbow grease, is getting the RestOfMorphic together
to file back in.

I'm pretty sure that the castaways already know this, but I think it's
an important thing to make clear and keep clear as the work proceeds.

Avi