Improving Squeak's Mutlimedia

Martin Kuball MartinKuball at web.de
Sat Feb 19 17:51:43 UTC 2005

Am Friday 18 February 2005 21:09 schrieb Brad Fuller:
> Is anyone interested in improving the multimedia facilities in
> Squeak?
>
> I'm suggesting a group of interested parties get together and
> review potential improvements and enhancements to the audio/video
> functionality in Squeak. And then, really do something about it.
>
> I'm not suggesting a formally structured group, but BOFs that want
> to help improve the current state. Maybe it's a loose-knit group,
> maybe it will have a primary contact to this dev-list or to the
> castways/SqF. I don't know, and I don't think that's important at
> this very moment.
>
> I have _plenty_ of ideas for audio and I would like to gather all
> of those other audio people and video enthusiasts that would like
> to help put together a plan. Let me tell you upfront that I'm not a
> highly skilled smalltalk programmer. But, I am experienced in
> audio; both technically and from a composer and sound designer
> standpoint (that's what pays da bills.). And I have programmed for
> many years on (mostly) embedded products.
>
> Perhaps a review of the current multimedia state is first at hand
> and then fixing what needs to be fixed. But I don't want to get
> ahead of myself before I hear if anyone else is interested.
>
> I imagine there is less than a handful that would be interested.
> But, hey, I hope I'm wrong.
>
> anyone?
>
> brad

I'm definitely interested. Unfortunately I'm not very good in writing
long Mails. I will try to sum up my plans and ideas in the next
couple of days. But here are some remarks  that come to my mind when
reading your EMail.

What is Multimedia? Certainly it includes Audio and Video. But I think
there is more.

There are different levels or types of multimedia software. One type
is concerned with the creation of new content. Another type deals
with the manipulation of existing content. I think my AudioVideoLib
ist an example for the latter type. Playback another.

At the moment I'm trying to finish some missing parts of the AVI stuff
and make everything more robust. Another important point is to really
put it to use and find out the limits of what you can do with it
(speed wise I mean) and to improve the API.

By the way I'm really excited about the things going on here at the
moment. I hope we can move squeak to a new level in the next few
month.

Martin