Squeak-3.7b audio recording issue on FC3

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sat Feb 19 14:44:29 UTC 2005

Ned Konz wrote:

>On Friday 18 February 2005 8:07 pm, Brad Fuller wrote:
>

>>Both Alsa and the OSS emulation work fine with other applications (such
>>as ardour and mplayer using it's OSS interface). I haven't seen any
>>problems with them so far.
>>
>>In Squeak, audio plays fine. But, when I start up squeak, go to the
>>Widgets flap, drag out a "Sound" morph and push record, squeak hangs.
>>Its repeatable every time.
>>
>>Any idea why? I'm thinking back thru my memory and I can't remember if
>>this has happened before... but it may have. I searched thru Mantis and
>>found nothing but one audio bug that was a playback bug.
>>
>>Anybody else running Linux with 3,7? If you are, can you try this and
>>see if you get the same result?
>>

>I have explained this several times before.

Strange that I haven't memorized all your posts :-) ;-) :-) :-)

>Are you sure that you aren't running another program that has the OSS files
>open?
>
>i.e. what do you get when you do:
>
> sudo lsof /dev/*s*nd*

Lists nothing.

>It should be nothing...
>
>If you have esd or artsd running and hanging on to the OSS sound files you'll
>have problems. Tell them to release the devices after they've been idle for a
>while.
>
>hint: try running squeak under:
>artsdsp (if you're running artsd), or

I use KDE/artsd.  Using this wrapper, as I always do, has no effect on
the problem above.  Removing it had no effect either.

>esddsp (if you're running esd)

I don't use esd.

>another hint: if you're running artsd, try
>artsshell autosuspend 10
>artsshell suspend

Done...long time ago.  artsshell status shows "suspended".

I can break the recording loop with alt-. and it shows that
SoundRecorder is sitting in:

                n _ self primRecordSamplesInto: currentBuffer
startingAt: nextIndex.

inside the ifFalse: block.  It seems that blocking in this prim now
blocks the VM.  Really, I don't know...I'm just guessing.  Anyway sound
in linux is a mess.  I've had problems on occasion with simple programs
like rec or the KDE sound recorder so it never really bothered me that
squeak's recording didn't work.

David