Squeak-3.7b audio recording issue on FC3

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Sat Feb 19 21:52:45 UTC 2005

On Saturday 19 February 2005 6:44 am, David Shaffer wrote:
> I can break the recording loop with alt-. and it shows that
> SoundRecorder is sitting in:
>
>                 n _ self primRecordSamplesInto: currentBuffer
> startingAt: nextIndex.
>
> inside the ifFalse: block.  It seems that blocking in this prim now
> blocks the VM.  Really, I don't know...I'm just guessing.  Anyway sound
> in linux is a mess.  I've had problems on occasion with simple programs
> like rec or the KDE sound recorder so it never really bothered me that
> squeak's recording didn't work.

OK...

I find that I can't even usefully break (at least in SpectrumAnalyzerMorph).

When I break in gdb, I find myself inside the read inside input() in
sqUnixSoundOSS.c:

(gdb) p *dsp
$1 = {path = 0xb779d12a "/dev/dsp", fd = 12, caps = 12801, fmts = 505, hw =
{format = 8,
    channels = 1, rate = 11025, bpf = 2, fragSize = 2048}, sq = {format = 8,
    channels = 1, rate = 11025, bpf = 2, fragSize = 2048}, read = 0xb779cbec
<input>,
  write = 0xb779cb4c <output>, semaphore = 5, running = 1}

(gdb) call printAllStacks()
Process
2023201148 SoundRecorder>recordLoop
2023200964 [] in SoundRecorder>startRecording
2023201056 [] in BlockContext>newProcess

oddly, no UI process in that list. When I hit Alt-. I get what looks like an
interrupted UI task pre-debug window popping up, but the UI is dead.

Of course, I now find that I can't record with the usual tools outside of
Squeak either. I should stop updating my system...

In the past, I had recording working in Squeak -- but I'd had to re-compile
ALSA from their CVS to get it to work with my sound hardware.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/