[Newbie] [RFI] For a given class how do I enumerate all the messages sent to self?

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 09:49:35 UTC 2005

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
>Sun Feb 20 01:38:09 CET 2005

how do I enumerate all the messages sent to self?
[ author ]

wrote:
>> I did find a valid one and reported it to mantis
>> #0000651. MorphicEvent>>cursorPoint refers to
position
>> which is not defined for MorphicEvent (only in its
>> subclasses).

>Ned Replied:
>
>Of course, we never have any instances of
MorphicEvent, as it's an abstract
>class.

Yes. It is a fussy trivial bug the fix to which is
MorphicEvent>>cursorPoint
^ self subclassRespnsibility.

My curiosity remains. Are there other places where
abstract classes or not-so-abstract classes use words
they should know but don't.  A test will settle the
question and guard against future sloppiness.

Even if squeak has no other instances or only trivial
other instances another test of correctness is a good
thing to have.

And enumerating the messages to self may have other
useful purposes we haven't thought of yet.

So the question:

For a given class how do I enumerate all the messages
sent to self?

Is something I could use a clear concise answer to,
from someone who may know exactly how to  say this to
squeak in a way it would understand.

Motives and examples are sideways to the curiosity and
the point. Its a newbie question and I'm not ashamed
of my stumbiling around. That's how newbies learn.

Yours in curiosity and service --Jerome Peace