[REPORT] Report 1 from castaways (that name sucks...)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sun Feb 20 15:46:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:20:24 -0500, Steven Swerling <sswerling at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> When we ask "Don't leave eToys behind?", do we mean that the eToys
> project shouldn't have to work too hard to benefit from advances in
> Squeak, like anyone else, or that all the work should be done for them
> by all groups with any interest in Squeak?

What Avi wanted to say I think, and what I second, is that this 4.0
project will have *two* major things:

- a minimal Morphic in the image;
- a RestOfMorphic+Etoys loadable package (or packages if a further
split-up is warranted).

So everything that gets 'thrown away' from MinimalMorphic will be
immediately added to RestOfMorphic, so that at release time, we will be
able to build and distribute the Full image lots of people so love (I love
it for showing off Squeak's capabilities, for example ;-))

I'm just back from a Scouting weekend, so I'm dirty and smelly -> a shower
is first on the to-do list after catching up with mail, but if anyone
wants to jump in on this project, please make it known. If people have
ideas on how to go about coordinating this refactoring effort, I'd be glad
to hear your ideas. Note that the whole stripping/refactoring project will
assume that ToolBuilder is around, so it might be an idea to take a peek
at it  - the list's archive is accessible on
http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?4:iis:3:200502#b (we
still need to get our head around ezmlm web archiving, most notably what
the correct 'entrypoint url' should be - if anyone can help there, please
shout).