Improving Squeak's Mutlimedia

Martin Kuball MartinKuball at web.de
Sun Feb 20 19:38:07 UTC 2005

Am Sunday 20 February 2005 19:45 schrieb Tim Rowledge:
> Martin Kuball <MartinKuball at web.de> wrote:
> > were possible at all. And I think the speed of a codec is very
> > important. Every cpu cycle counts.
> >
> > I would like to have small Class for each codec that uses the
> > FFIPlugin as interface to the external library.
>
> Two conflicting requirements there; FFI is not a particularly fast
> way to access a plugin. If every cycle counts, a custom plugin
> Slang section is the way to go. By all means do the initial
> experiments via FFI but if you want the fastest prim access, sling
> dat Slang.

Well, I guess I was exagerating a little bit here. For each frame you
want to encode or decode you have normally one library call. The
processing inside the lib takes on the order of some milliseconds For
NTSC it should be less than 40 if you want to have real time. So what
time does FFI add to this?

By the way I thought that croquet uses FFI to to the OpenGL access.

Martin