Improving Squeak's Mutlimedia

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sun Feb 20 22:40:11 UTC 2005

Mark P. McCahill wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Is anyone interested in improving the multimedia facilities in Squeak?
>>

> Hi Brad.
>
> I'm interested. Your interests may overlap some of what
> my group has been doing to support Croquet. Last week we
> pushed OpenAL plugins for Mac, Linux, and Windows into
> the update stream for the Jasmine release of Croquet.
> I'm not sure how useful OpenAL is to people outside of the
> Croquet community, but the plugins can be called
> from Squeak, so maybe this qualifies as Squeak multimedia.

Sure it does, and thanks for contributing.
I'm on the Croquet dist-list and I've been reading the progress.

I think OpenAL would be especially useful for games and tools that I am
developing. AFAIK, though, OpenAL hasn't been meet with a large amount
of approval (maybe enthusiasm) by the audio development community, but
that's just my peripheral assessment from lists such as Alsa,
Linux-audio-user, etc.

Question: will OpenAL support be added to the base 3.x image? If not,
why not?

I would like to know more about it, and how you have integrated it into
squeak. I'm going to go thru your threads on Croquet. Can you also give
us a run down here?

brad