Kids and programming

Jan B. Krejčí janbkrejci at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:44:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:09:16 +0100, Mikael Kindborg <mikki at ida.liu.se> wrote:
> Hi Jan. Have you tried eToys with your kids? If it is not
> translated to Czech they could learn a litte English while
> using it.
> Best, Micke

sure, we have tried "Drive a car" long ago, but I find BotInc more
suitable for both of them, since they need to get the basics of
algorithmic thinking first and the limits of "chessboard" are good,
since they're not allowing children to diverge in learning and get
lost in too complex world of Squeak.

By the way - even the idea of BotInc is not new for me (here in Czech
Republic I remember at least three almost identical products, one has
already existed in 80's), I was truly excited when I realized that the
language children are using is in fact real Smalltalk, with all the
power of it. That's really GREAT!

In my opinion eToys will be the next logical step in learning, giving
more powerful weapons to my children's hands.

--
.:jbk:.
Jan B. Krejci