Wow, just a new gcc (on ARM)

Torsten Sadowski moehl at akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 21 15:28:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

I had some success with Yoshiki's 3.4.1 Qtopia sources and the bitbake
(aka openembedded) build system for handhelds. I still have to finish the
ipkg creation but so far I got

14250000 bytecodes and 470000 sends per second on a 206 MHz ARM using some
3.4 gcc. This is a 50% increase compared to gcc 2.95. If no one objects
(and if the OpenEmbedded guys want it), I
would like to commit this squeak-nox to the build system with a hope of an
automatic embedded Squeak. It should at least run on Ipaq and Simpad.

Torsten

P.S. I had to do some hacks to get it built. I would appreciate if some
concessions could be made to cross compiling. Especially configure and
#include "aio.h" (nameclash with system aio.h) are troublesome.