Squeak-3.7b audio recording issue on FC3

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Mon Feb 21 18:40:05 UTC 2005

Ned Konz wrote:

>On Sunday 20 February 2005 1:30 pm, Brad Fuller wrote:
>

>>I tried the aoss wrapper and it worked on my setup too -- although the
>>recording level was extremely low. But, at least it didn't hang.
>>Are you using the latest alsa version?
>>

>I'm using the alsa-source package from Debian unstable, as well as the alsa
>stuff in the 2.6.10 kernel. Which means that it's probably quite a bit behind
>the CVS. Still, it does work now.
>

>>In any case, squeak out of the box should record in linux -- at the very
>>least, it should never, ever hang. I suppose that there is no one
>>looking at this particular issue -- no one "responsible" (as it were)?
>>
>>This certainly goes on the list of things to fix for multimedia.
>>Ned: you have a bit more experience with the lower-guts in Squeak on
>>*nix? Do you want to file a bug on mantis?
>>

>I don't actually think it's a bug in Squeak, at least in the cases I've seen
>on my system.

But, out of the box, using the built in recorder app, squeak behaves
improperly -- it hangs. I don't think it should ever hang.This behavior
is consistent with reports here on the dev-list. Even though that is not
a lot of people, no one has said it works for them.
It would be nice for others to report behavior.

>As far as I can tell, Squeak is playing by the rules of the OSS sound system.
>But the ALSA OSS emulation has not always been friendly to me.
>
>I have found that when I can get *other* recording apps on my system to work,
>then Squeak does too (at least if I use aoss).

Not for me, unless I use aoss -- I contend that anyone using squeak
should not have to use aoss so that fundamental audio recording works
(it's ok for debugging.). All my other apps work fine, btw.

>>How should we go about getting this fixed?
>>

>Someone should write an ALSA sound plugin, probably. For low latency, probably
>something like Jack would make more sense, but it's not standard with any
>distribution that I've seen.

Alsa is now standard with Fedora Core 3.