A model for Teams in squeak-dev!

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 22 08:22:30 UTC 2005

Hi Brent!

"Brent Pinkney" <brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za> wrote:
> > So one step at a time - is the model to your liking? It is good enough
> > to run with and take any issues with as we go along?
>
> I like your model.

Good. :)

> Other than lie, cheat, and steal :), the ONLY thing the army tought me was
> that responsibility and authority must be coupled.
>
> Taking resposibility without authority will be ineffective.
> Granting authority without responsibility is crazy.

Exactly. I even made a connection with TFNR sitting in the car
yesterday, TFNR is about the same thing - partitioning *code* between us
with both responsibilities and authority assigned.

This Team model is the same idea, but for partitioning *work*. Well,
something like that. :)

> So, such a harvesting team/base image must have the authority to look at a
> change, review it, and get it into the update stream. Hours not months.

Indeed. And hey, I just noticed Ken Causey just beat us to it. I know
Ken's track record in all this and I personally think he would make a
great Team leader.

> Also a VM team is important. I  have built my fair share of VMs. I still
> do not know if I have the latest VM for my image, or whether features like
> Ephermerons are in the VM. Other than looking at the source code.

Hehe, yes. Let me just take notes - keep pouring ideas on what Teams we
want and we will see what we think we can muster and come up with. No
reason to form a gazillion Teams with no members ready to chip in. :)

On the other hand, if a Team leader can't get the man power to do the
job - the Team will be dispersed pretty quick.

> Brent

regards, Göran