another balloon picture

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Tue Feb 22 14:38:08 UTC 2005

Hi Dan, and all Squeakers,
The image we use for our Smalltalking association
(http://www.smalltalking.net)
 is an image where two trees fused each other and grow in common ground.
Trying to communicate the objective of the "association" of individuals
living in collaboration.
As "sharing our common grounds in the search of a common grown without
loosing our individual personality".
An image where the individual and the group are present at the same level
and a clear upside direction of grown (same direction of the glove), can
have more in common with Squeak community efforts.
I do not feel confortable with "personification" of Squeak, as a tool or the
allegory of the ambience as an individual, because it put us under the old
paradigm of the men commanding (or in front) of the computer/tool as in a
conversational model where the humman is in front of a magic glass.
I prefer to consider the smalltalk ambience as an open system [*] and not as
a container -an image or an individual-, but I also know that today it is
not common this kind of appreciation about what Smalltalk is; and that it is
currently defined (as known) as a language as most of the Smalltalkers.
cheers,
Ale.

[*] An ambience (like smalltalk) is not an object, as it is not the image.
It can´t be defined as the container of all the objects, because it is open
in time. The definition of Smalltalk as an ambience includes the time and
the effects of our actions through concrete objects preserving the "global"
stability. We can name the ambience as "Smalltalk" and model it as a
SystemDictionary (to be well known by the GC that currently needs a root
object), but it is not an object.
Most of the problem related with Ambiental efforts of preservation are
related with the wrong asumption that the ambience is an object. We have in
Smalltalk an invaluable resource to learn how to act in an ambience
preserving its stability and a very good tool to teach the limits of
formalization and the consecuences of reduction as a method to conquest the
world.