Shadowed variables [was: Re: animated gifs]

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Feb 22 22:34:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:10:18 -0800, "Dan Ingalls" <Dan at SqueakLand.org>
said:
> >On Tuesday 22 February 2005 12:31 am, Scott Wallace wrote:
> >Remove the local 'offset' variable in AnimatedGIFReadWriter>>allImages; it's
> >shadowing the instance variable.
>
> Just a note about QA of releases.  In the "old days", shadowing was
> considered an error, and one of the pre-release procedures was to
> recompile the whole system.  Thus, this bug would have been caught.

I think we did lose track of a few of the pre-release QA procedures over
the years that Squeak Central used to perform.

To help rectify the situation, I added a method
SmalltalkImage>>prepareReleaseImage in 3.7, so we can keep track of
these.  It does a lot of the standard cleanup and checking for things
like DependentsFields and Undeclared.

Probably we should add a system recompile in there.  (I forget now
offhand how to do that... :-) )  Let me know if you think of anything
obvious that's missing from the #prepareReleaseImage method.

- Doug