Modules

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Feb 23 12:06:07 UTC 2005

Hi Dan and all!

Dan Ingalls <Dan at SqueakLand.org> wrote:
> Heh heh...
>
> About six hours ago, I said I'd write a quick summary of my thoughts on the subject, and I'm just getting started.  It's not that I'm writing more, but I'm trying to get it right which, as you know, takes longer.

No rush, sorry for putting on the pressure by my post. I just thought it
was a good move - both with the momentum and also to show what we mean
with Teams more concretely. As in - they are For Real. :)

For the record it should be said that the idea of two Teams like this
originates from Dan.

> Meanwhile, I'd like to proceed simply to ask for people interested in putting modules into Squeak.

I just created a new list called "modules" for this Team:

	modules-subscribe at discuss.squeakfoundation.org

> As part of any positive response, I'd like to hear

I am in. :)

> 	What would you like to see in such a system?

Personally - simplicity and... simplicity.

> 	Are you mainly interested as a designer, implementor, or user?

Partly designer/implementor, but no hardcore. Of course SM and its
future place/direction/area and also my little Namespace thingy (almost
scared of mentioning it nowadays :)) are my personal interests in all
this.

And, unless I haven't made that absolutely clear by now, I don't have
any special "standing", I don't expect my interests or
proposals/solutions to be treated differently than anyone elses.

> 	Anything else you'd like to say.

Hmmm, well, one important thing, given the "risks" with this work (we
all remember the past), as with MinimalMorphic one smart idea is to run
the Team "in parallell" to the regular stream as long as it can be done.
Meaning that if there is a crash and burn, we aren't sitting with a half
baked mess in the update stream :). But that is probably obvious.

> Thanks
> 	- Dan
>
> PS:  For now, please don't worry about overlap with current packages work.  The two are closely related, and they will come together in the end, but they can be worked on independently (hopefully with cross fertilization) until then.  I'm hoping to see many of the package folks among those interested.

Yes, fully agree. And I am in and I assume Lex and Alexandre are too
etc.

> PPS:  And, lest people freak out about earthshaking changes, let me say that one of my top priorities is that, however it works, such a system should be unnoticeable to casual users of Squeak.

Yes, indeed.

regards, Göran