Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Feb 23 16:41:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:26:41 +0100, stéphane ducasse
<ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Sorry guys, I'm fed up. So I give up. Do what you want.

Ah, so the deal is "either do what Stephane proposes or I'll walk away"? I
seriously think that this is not very productive.

People are asking for information here. And that's their good right.

Now, if you could please point me to the latest SqueakMap loadable version
of Traits that people can evaluate as "this is what we propose to land
into Squeak 3.9", we'd have a basis for discussion. But the latest version
is a beta version, and the latest large comment in SqueakMap on Traits, I
quote:

"Limitations
-----------
- There are still many features missing that are absolutely essential for
getting the real "traits experience", but these are mainly related to the
UI and IDE. For example:
   - There are no virtual categories that present the conflicts and glue
methods of a composite class/trait.
   - There is no automatic computation of requirements
   - There is no information that shows which traits/classes provide or
require the currently selected methods
   - There is no support for turning classes into trait
   - etc.

- The current UI is just a "minimal placeholder" that allows one to start
using/playing with traits. However, many improvements are still missing.
- There are known bugs in OmniBrowser (which still is in alpha).
- The OmniBrowser updates very slowly.

- No documentation apart from the papers yet."

doesn't exactly invite people to start testing it. And it certainly get's
no-one yelling "yes - that's what I want in Squeak 3.9!".

If you don't want to sell, please don't be surprised that no-one buys your
product.

So, to get this topic back into something positive instead of whining
around, let me put forward a couple of simple questions:

- Is the latest version of Traits on SqueakMap as limited as the above
thing says?
- If no, could you please update the comments?
- If yes, what is needed to remove the limitations? How can people that
are interested in getting Traits to an evaluable level cooperate?