Modules

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Wed Feb 23 18:09:50 UTC 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> As part of any positive response, I'd like to hear
>
> 	What would you like to see in such a system?

 From the deployment side, I would like to see robust dependency
mechanisms - for example, in Monticello there is a notion of
prerequisites (ignore the fact they are changing and the Monticello
isn't a package manager) that can exist on various repositories. The
dependency mechanism that G-ran has talked about for the next version
of SM would ostensibly allow getting the modules to be loaded from
various places, not only a "central" server. Some sort of fallback
mechanism for package repositories would be very useful.

> 	Are you mainly interested as a designer, implementor, or user?

Whatever is needed :)