The quest for an Usability Team

Dominique Dutoit dominiqued at versateladsl.be
Wed Feb 23 22:36:46 UTC 2005

I agree that a Usability Team is much needed. A few weeks ago, I was
wandering in the "Add a new morph" menu and discovered the Phoneme
Recognizer which is very interesting for generating mouth positions for
animation programs (Blender and Moho in my case). I have fixed and
tweaked some parts of it but yet it need much more work to make it
usable. As far I have seen, hundred of morphs are just sitting there
waiting to be brought to light (or life) -- time to start the "Adopt a
Morph" program.

On the other end, the risk of such team is to walk on the feet of the
UI team and yet, there are some interesting things to explore and some
opportunities to move beyond the windows paradigm. First things that
come in mind are agents, bricks (no other way to explain the cool stuff
found on ZOOSqueakDT [1]) and proximal user interfaces [3] (found today
in Scala, Blender, Lightwave ... and in some extends Squeak).

So in a sense the job of the Usability Team is not only to clean the
Squeak UI or provide a Human Interface Guide but also to inspire.

[1] http://www.languagegame.org:8080/zoo/194
[3] http://www.basden.u-net.com/R/proximal.html