UI design by committee

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 24 00:19:15 UTC 2005

PA <petite.abeille at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2005, at 23:32, Cees de Groot wrote:
>
> > Turn the issue around: don't blame software builders for producing bad
> > designs. Blame the software for letting them produce bad designs.
>
> Well... for once... perhaps Smalltalk should try to catch up with good,
> old, IB:
Now don't get me started on Menu Bars again...

It's real simple. I have a menu bar on my mouse. It's called 'the
middle button'. It's always very close and pretty much unmissable so it
has a fabulous Fitz's Law figure of merit. It follows my point of
attention around, even across multiple monitors. How anyone could fail
to see the advantage over a screen-top menubar graphic I cannot imagine.

tim
Strange OpCodes: CLOUT: Call Long-distance On Unused Telephone