Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 24 03:44:56 UTC 2005

Martin Wirblat <sql.mawi at t-link.de> wrote:
> Here are Squeak's current problems ordered by importance:
>
> 1) library
> 2) speed
> 3) documentation
> 4) community organization
> 5) public relations and awareness
> 6) language

Hmm, let me try.  My list would be something like:

1. Stability, including stable sets of packages.
2. Dicing up the shared image into packages.
3. Documentation.
4. Better interfaces to the platform, especially to windowing systems
5. Beefing up the libraries in various ways.
6. Language, namespaces, ...
6. Public relations.

I'd call community organization a means to these other ends, so I didn't
explicitly put it on the list.  Anyway, we should have just enough
organization to make this list get better, and no more.  To paraphrase
Trygve's suggestion, let's have just enough organization that we can
maximize our anarchy.  :)

I don't know where to put PR in.  It is of only moderate importance to
me, but it is important, so I stuck it at the end.

I agree that documentation is important, with the big footnote that this
means documentation in a general sense, including things like class
comments.

I don't see speed as an issue for us.  Why do you put it at the #2 slot?
 We aren't going to win over users who need a *really* fast
program-execution system.  On the other hand, I worry that if we think
about speed too much, we might mess up some of the things that are
great.

And honestly, everything after 2 doesn't seem like a terribly big deal
to me.  1-2 seem absolutely critical, if we are to all continue working
together.

-Lex