Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Thu Feb 24 12:52:13 UTC 2005

Stéphane,

you obviously have some overly strong interest to push Traits into
Squeak. The moment someone only dares to start a discussion about it,
which btw had been requested by you, you are instantaneously going wild
- in a really nasty manner. Have you ever thought what damage you do to
collaboration and communication with this mixture of silly blackmailing
that you will leave and then always coming back making even more noise?

Your behavior in the last few month' showed clearly that you want to
shortcut a discussion about Traits at all. This doesn't look as if you
think Traits has it in itself to make it into the Squeak Smalltalk
language by means of its own qualities.

Remember, this is a language extension. To expect that people will
accept it by just shortly playing around with it, or even without any
discussion about it, is a bit ridiculous.

What is wrong with the idea that the Berne group puts up a special
edition of the standard Squeak image release? People could study in
depth new ideas without time constraints and if it turns out that
something like Traits has its general merits they will request inclusion
into standard Squeak without being pressured to do so. If they are not
requesting such an inclusion, the "recurring fork Berne edition" has its
value on its own. Everyone who wishes so can use it.

Think about it!

Regards,
Martin