Are bugs in older releases fixed in newer releases still bugs?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Thu Feb 24 19:24:27 UTC 2005

Good questions.

For now, I think a reasonable default process would be to consider any
bugs fixed in future releases to be "fixed"/closed in a bug tracker.
Then, if enough people continue to complain (by adding to the bug report
or submitting new bugs) about the issue in the earlier release, maybe
re-open the bug for the earlier release, and then fix it in the earlier
release.

Something like that.  But by default, at least, I think it would be
easiest to consider them "fixed".

A lot of people (including myself) are in favor of maintaining our
final/stable releases with additional (critical-only) patches/updates.
This needs to be discussed further by some sort of "release" team, but
I'd be in favor of starting to do this with the 3.8 release.  You could
provide this via the regular update stream (which Squeak Central used to
do), but also provide bugfix point releases on squeak.org such as 3.8.1,
3.8.2, etc.  But you'd still have the same beta cycle that we have now
to make sure the first final release (e.g. 3.8) wasn't horribly buggy.

- Doug

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:37:16 -0600, "Ken Causey" <ken at kencausey.com>