Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Feb 24 22:21:51 UTC 2005

> You see Yoshiki this is big kick in our ... to make sure that what we
> will deliver
> is at the quality we dream about :) and squeakers like you deserve. Else
> this would be an embarasment for us.

There's certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. I've read the papers
well enough to answer a lot of the questions that have come up (like
flattening making traits transparent, and that the image could conceivably
shrink). For those of you who haven't, it's not a lot of material, and
it's good reading.

I first learned to use objects in 1989 or 1990. I've used them
subsequently in every job where it was possible to do so. But it only took
a few weeks to realize OO's shortcomings. Traits is not a panacaea
obviously, but it addresses a lot of those shortcomings--and does so in a
way that's (to my eye) compatible with Smalltalk's elegance.

I don't know who Goran's "trait-haters" are but, so far, I haven't seen
much feedback from anyone who appears to "get it".