Keymapper/Keybinding [was: Re: To Traits Or Not To Traits (Was: Re: Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down)]

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Feb 24 17:33:14 UTC 2005

Steven Swerling wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>

>> PS: by the way I hope one of your keybinding goodies will get in 3.9
>> (I forgot the connection with the keymapper/binding)
>> But having that in the image with a cool emacs bindings would be
>> realllllly coooool
>>

> C. David Shaffer did a lot to improve the keymapper stuff, and it's
> his baby now. If you can't get his involvement, I'll try to help.
>
> Regards,
> Steve S.

I continue to develop the "Keymapping" package...which I would really
have prefered to call Keymapper but that name was taken :-(  Inclusion
in the image isn't as important to me as having a more organized action
framework including global "services" as well as application and
morph-specific actions.  Then I could hook Keymapping into that
framework in a less kludgy way (keyboard shortcuts would trigger
actions).  This would also permit app developers to provide "default"
keybindings which would be used if Keymapping is loaded.  This came up
on squeak-dev before and Avi and Romain and I discussed it off list a
bit.  We left it with the idea that services should be tagged in the
methods...kind of like pragma mechanism in VisualWorks but avoiding new
syntax.  We didn't refine the idea any further however.  I'm having a
hard time keeping up with this mailling list but I think that there are
three teams whose work might touch on these ideas: UI design,
applications/tools? (don't recall the correct name of this team) and
usability.  I'm a little slow on the uptake but I hope to join these
groups, as appropriate.  Maybe Romain can chime in as well since I think
his work directly impacts this.

David