Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Feb 24 22:49:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:46:30 +0100, Martin Wirblat <sql.mawi at t-link.de>
wrote:
> Furthermore this Collection hierarchy is already there!

What in incredibly weak argument. I think I'll just let it stand here,
it's actually too weak to discuss seriously.

Ok. Here goes: you are saying "don't touch anything because it's there".
Whether it stinks or not. I think that's being absurdly conservative. You
have a pile of dirt on your doorstep and you let it smell because it's
already there?

Personally, I'm of the opposite persuasion - code smells and bit rot have
to be battled with any available means. If the available means don't
suffice, make new means. The refactoring of the Collection (and most
likely Morphic) hierarchies in itself are for me reason enough to vote for
its inclusion into base Squeak (given due process, etcetera), because
frankly I don't know of any alternative solution that comes even close if
it's about cleaning up these old sores.

Furthermore, by loose induction, I would say that if Traits is able to
elegantly deal with these two warts, I think it will prove to be a very
productive tool in the average developer's toolchest.