Improving Squeak's Multimedia - Part 2

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 23:09:35 UTC 2005

Russell Penney writes:

 > I will make my feelings about plugins clear for the last time (cause no one
 > like a nagger :).  I see plugins as a necessary evil. Yes they speed things
 > up but they ALSO reduce portability. I would love to see a "pure" smalltalk
 > implementation of all A/V classes with plugins used to speed up parts that
 > are required. That way the base is portable to any machine, it might not be
 > fast but it will work.

Pure Smalltalk implementations are nice to have and we can make them
faster as well. How hard depends on what basic data types are
used. Just integers that fit into 31 bits? Not too bad. Floats and
true 32 bit integers are harder.

I'm interested in Multimedia but will not participate directly but
feel free to point out interesting inner loops.

Bryce

P.S. Exupery is now only 10% slower than VisualWorks for the bytecode
benchmark and sends are now faster than the interpreter.