Improving Squeak's Multimedia - Part 2 Followup

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Feb 25 01:52:07 UTC 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:

> ==== Attack Plan
> Finally, I propose that we decide on what to tackle and how to do it.
>
> From a bird's eye view, we might look at 3 distinct phases (not
> necessarily linear in order - can be approached simultaneously):
>
>    * Review/Discuss/Plan/Fix existing classes (which hopefully fix
>      existing tools/apps)
>    * Discuss-Design/Plan/Enhance existing classes
>    * Discuss-Design/Plan/Add new capabilities: new classes, tools and
>      end-user applications.
>
> And, are you interested in helping?

As mentioned in my msg, I'm interested in mainly fixing and enhancing
the audio base classes, first.

 From the comments so far, we don't a clear winner -- not any particular
area that everyone feels compelled to work on. Nothing jumps out at me.
Anything jump out at you?

Here's what I have so far:

Blake Watson

Interests:

I'd like to see an equalizer. I think it'd also be cool if Squeak could
be  used to teach orchestration/composition. And video editing.

Commitment:

My  contributions would most likely be: I can test, I can document, and
I can  build end-user stuff.

Martin Kuball

Interests:

IMHO Squeak already has a lot of things we can use. But they need to be
better integrated, polished up a little bit and bundled with some nice
interface classes.

Commitment:

?

Russell Penny

Interests:

My main interest is making sure I can use any format I want in any of
the tools that will be designed.
Commitment:

I have been collecting format specification documents for a while now
and am more than happy to help in that area.

Dean Swan

Interests:

1. Audio

        A. MIDI

        B. Synthesis

                1) FM

                2) Subtractive

                3) Additive

                4) Voice/Speech

        C. Recording/Editing

                1) Filtering (Simple and Adaptive)

                2) Sample Rate Conversion

                3) Effects (i.e. Reverb, Delay, Phasing, Flanging,
Dynamics,

                         Pitch Modification, Time Stretching, etc.)

2. Video

        A. Compression

                1) Vector Quantization

        B. Streaming

        C. Editing

                1) Colorspace Conversion

                2) Scaling

                3) Compositing

Commitment:

The majority of my experience is with audio DSP and anything related, so
that's where I can probably contribute the most.
Vector Quantization is something I have explored quite extensively on my
own

Steve Elkins

Interests:

I'm more interested in (forming a
better understanding of) Squeak's ability to integrate various media. I
want to record stories and have her illustrate them, like narrated slide
shows.  I also want to set stories to music.

Commitment:

Testing and using for now.

Brian Vukmer

Commitment:

I'm interested in being a tester.

Yoshiki Ohshima

Interests:

Adding MPEG4 to Squeak
Commitment:

My thought now is to write an equivalent of mp4player in Squeak, and
call MPEG4IP library as plugin.

*Brad Fuller*
*Interests:*
Audio/Music
*Commitment:*
Help plan/code/test current audio base classes (need defn of what those
are, which I can do).
I will test, too.

No response (yet!) from:

Craig Latta

Mark McCahill

Juan Vuletich

Cornelius Huber

========================
We have 3 that have volunteered their time to test. Thanks! That is very
important.

We don't quite have a quorum on what they would test, though ;-)
But, I didn't think we would yet.

We also don't have a count on who would actually code.

First things first: from the replies, I see the following MM items of
interest and at least one person is interested in
writing/editing/enhancing code (and I'm sure I missed something, so
please fire away and let's add it to the list):
* Fix/enhance existing audio classes - could include the current
soundrecorder/player tools
* Add MPEG 4 player.
* Dean has a lot of interests! It would help if you could prioritize.
Will you help code?
* Russell is looking at this from a MM usability/re-use POV (right?).
In addition to OGG.
* Martin feels that Squeak has a lot going for it already -- just needs
cleaning/polishing and a new suit. Can you be more specific and what you
feel needs cleaning up and what you would help with?

I certainly believe that people well feel compelled to help if they see
a clear personal benefit. Finding the flag we can rally around is the
difficult part -- especially since we are doing this for free and we are
not working in the same timezones (however, round-the-clock programming
can be productive and fun if organized right.)

Hey, we're getting closer. Looks darn good to me!

When I have more comments, I'll put out Part 3 (i know... i know... you
just can't wait...)

brad