Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 25 01:13:52 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:25:15 +0100
> From: Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com>
> Subject: Re: Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down
> To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list" <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
> reply-to: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:21:52 +0100, stŽphane ducasse
> <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>
> > with traits there is no performance penalty.
>
> Heh. I don't think Tim was meaning that.
>
> It is bad that Morphic has visible delays.

AGREED.  That performance problem is a real pity.  Squeak+Morphic should
be kicking butt for PDA applications, but it is hampered by needing
several megabytes of memory and a gigaherz of CPU.  Squeak could be
blowing Perl away, but the startup time just to read() the image file is
a killer.

> I do hope, btw, that as a side effect of the Morphic split, we will be
> able to get back some performance. Original Morphic must have been faster
> than what's there now, not?

Yes, just load an earlier Squeak.  I am amazed every time I try it.  I
can't imagine what is going wrong in newer Squeak's....

-Lex