Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Feb 25 03:24:07 UTC 2005

> > I do hope, btw, that as a side effect of the Morphic split, we will be
>> able to get back some performance. Original Morphic must have been faster
>> than what's there now, not?
>
>Yes, just load an earlier Squeak.  I am amazed every time I try it.  I
>can't imagine what is going wrong in newer Squeak's....

This always happens when you open the door to... improvements ;-).

It isn't anyone's fault, it's just that poor performance doesn't show up as a failed unit test.

In the old days, there were a couple of us who would periodically figure out where UI time was going and do our best to tune things up prior to major releases.

It's looking like a lot of the work for Minimal Morphic is well understood (I know, there's still plenty to do) so I, for one, hereby pledge to spend a bit of time on performance.  I think a lot of the others want this too.  The more minimal it is, the harder it will be for performance bugs to hide.

One of the sad things is that Morphic gives you much better screen fidelity than MVC (things like windows and background display while growing), but people turn it off for speed.  I think by now, we ought to be able to have both fidelity *and* speed.

	- Dan