To Traits Or Not To Traits (Was: Re: Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 25 08:49:02 UTC 2005

On 24 févr. 05, at 23:28, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> OK, I read the papers. Basically I'm in favour of using Traits; it's a
> nice concept that seems to have potential to make it easier to build
> neat classes and keep them neat. Keeping classes neat makes it
> easier for people to understand the _intent_ of class and thereby keep
> it on track. I have this theory that the main reason Morphic classes
> have become such disgusting piles of foetid bytecodes is that almost
> nobody that has changed them had a clue what was supposed to be
> happening.
>
> I'm not so sure about the browser UI shown in the papers - using
> colours like that isn't something I feel very comfortable with for
> example - but so long as there are tools that actually work they can be
> improved upon later.

Yes (especially since in the version of the browser colors where
different on mac and Pc :)
This is true that while to model is really simple making a nice browser
is challenging.
Adrian had a brand new browser but the code analysis was missing.
Nathanael is working on that.
  Using the old browser was quite difficult so we hope that using OB
will really help us a lot.

> The pervasive use of accessor methods reminds of my dislike of having
> accessors for everything; it invites C-hacker rape and pillage. The
> problem is that they are not at all private and so expose the
> underlying structure of the class to any voyeur. We don't need to go
> far
> to see appalling code that abuses such methods and violates all the
> Laws of Demeter. We need to find a better way to handle this issue;
> some way to make such methods private in a suitable form would be
> useful. I suppose we could make a trivial hack by specifying the
> setter/getter messages to have a name that is always trtGetBlah for
> example. It would be a little ugly but probably functional enough for a
> beginning.

Agree there too. We are open to ideas and suggestions.

Now nathanael has a solution but this is not for squeak :)
or at least before next 10 years :) (if you still want to know read the
new OOPSLA
paper (take care this is more research than traits now).