Squeak on Handhelds, Status?

Stefan Krecher stefan at krecher.de
Fri Feb 25 12:06:28 UTC 2005

Hello,

the topic "Squeak on Handhelds" has been discussed several times on
this list in the past.
I'd just like to ask, what's the state of the art, if there are people
working with/ on Squeak for Handhelds, an maybe if there's some help
needed.

Background:
Smalltalk is my favorite programming language, and a couple of years
ago i worked with Visual Age for Smalltalk. In the past years I played
around with Squeak, but i'm far away from beeing a Squeak-expert.
At the time i have to implement a UI for a Handheld running WindowsCE
(iPaq). The UI shall control actions served by an ejb/
servlet-container (jboss) via HTTP-GET-Requests to a servlet.
For the first version of the control-sw we used ewe, a free
Java-Implementation for Handhelds (www.ewesoft.org). Unfortunately the
UI was not "sexy" enough for our customer.
Now I'm trying Squeak, because Morphic as a lot of possibilities to
implement graphics/ animation/ sound and other "sexy" things.
(btw. "sexy" in this context means: colorful, animated, playful etc.).
For the first tests I used the SqueakVM 3.0 compiled for ARM
(http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/) and a default
3.2-image. Everything seems to work fine, i built funny buttons, lists
and so on. Networking works fine too (WLAN).

I'd like to know if there are any pitfalls - for now everything seems
to be a bit too easy.
Do you have any hints/ tips for stripping down the image?
Any ideas on how to implement an automatic installer (an executable
that installs the sw on the iPaq)?
I heard of the possibility to "close" the image (prevent the user
from opening a world-menu etc.).

Thanks in advance for any hints, tips or resources. And if there's any
help needed, let me know.

regards,
Stefan

--
GPG fingerprint = 2E77 C256 47B1 27B8 AE07  94BE D7A1 2A3C C716 2BE9
GPG public key: http://krecher.de/pubkey.asc           ICQ #84067348